Saturday, February 27, 2016

Upcycled wool sweater with natural color 重新的羊毛衣

A plain white sweater my girl discarded.  I found it worth for my botanical prints but I've no idea what the materials are, the label with mention of  20%? 20%? and 40%? in Korean I don't understand.   No harm for the trial with eucalyptus.  Two species of eucalyptus are used. One is the euc cinerea and the other is smaller leaved which unknow to me.  Both bought from florist.  I placed the leaves on the pre-wetted sweater, rolled up and bundle boiled for 2 hours in dye pot with little onion skins soaked in alum.
 
 After cooling, unwrapped.  Bold prints of leaves and tie marks of onion skin color on the top.  Not enough for me.....  I wanted some more color on the plain sweater ........
Stitched to do the shibori dye on both sleeves and the bottom .......
I bought to boil two spoons of madder root in a litre of  water with alum then soaked the stitched parts into the dye pot and covered the pot with heat switched off, kept overnight then opened.......

 Wondering if Mogi likes it ?
 Seems he doesn't fancy........ but I love the simple outcome !


               That's what I intended shibori dye of madder red

 Prints of eucalyptus are so bold and impressive on the surface. I figured that the sweater should have the most, 40% wool.
 My daughter's discarded sweater is now my renewed one.  

 Plain with a bit color from nature.   
If you like to do eco prints, natural prints, natural dyes, botanical imprints......... whatever you call this kind of natural color, my instant download tutorial is available on my on line shop ETSY.




10 comments:

  1. Terriea--What a super project!! I love how you over-dye parts that don't seem 'finished' to make it extra special! Hxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Sometimes I like to do such crazy thing. Hehe.....

      Delete
  2. Wonderful results I should think your daughter will want it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A considerable improvement on the plain sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful Terriea! You really brought it to life

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome way to get more wear out of your daughter's sweater. Maybe she'll want it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I certainly love it and wear it myself now.

      Delete
  6. This is so lovely! I found a cream merino sweater to print on and wondering if you place anything inside the sweater to prevent the print going through to the back? Are you wrapping it in plastic wrap or parchment paper? Thankyou for your beautiful and informative blog! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry. Yes, I placed a micro-wave heat resist plastic in between and rolled up.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Terriera...it is so generous of you to share your process! By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog today and your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...